Letters I’ve Written, Meaning To Send

13 Oct

Dear Mr. [Ruskin] Bond,

Apologies for beginning this note on the wrong page, but I expect it will extend beyond the length of only one. I want to thank you for generously sharing your time and anecdotes with us when we visited your home. It has been barely two days since we were there, but already the Bombay grind makes the mists seem like a distant dream.

I am currently trying to locate a postal service that delivers perishable items so I can send more guava jam your way. From my efforts so far, I have learned that either courier delivery boys are terribly greedy or nobody believes in the therapeutic effects of marmalade anymore. I will continue to try, though. Meanwhile, enclosed herewith are some photographs. The Boy and I hope you enjoy them.

Thank you again for meeting us on Friday. I can honestly say that the all-too-brief encounter was a highlight of my life. I look forward to reading your beautiful words for many years to come and will keep my fingers crossed about possible future visits.

Warmest regards,

[meltingly, swooningly, oh-so-adoringly and worshipfully],

OJ

About these ads

10 Responses to “Letters I’ve Written, Meaning To Send”

1. Neha October 14, 2008 at 1:28 am #

You met THE Bond? Wow. (So have I, but that was so loooong ago!)

[And you listen to Moody Blues? Wow. Again]

2. wordjunkie October 14, 2008 at 9:23 am #

I burn with envy, OJ and Neha.
    Can we see the pix?

3. Nino's Mum October 14, 2008 at 12:00 pm #

It’s tuesday, the weekend’s a good million years away, and I’ve been up at 6:30am to bring in the s-i-l’s son’s budday with a smile that belies my lack of sleep and utter incredulence at a breakfast b’day party for a 6year old. Jeez, suffice to say, this is an explanation for the comment that follows below.
    ‘bloody show-off.’ I’m so green, I’m merging with my tee.

4. DewdropDream October 14, 2008 at 8:46 pm #

OH my god!! How lovely!!! Did you get anything autographed??!! And guava jam??! :D Niiiiiice!!

I’ve only met Ken Follett… he’s an absolute charmer!

5. Unmana October 14, 2008 at 10:10 pm #

OHMIGOD that was my childhood dream! How did it happen?

6. Orange Jammies October 15, 2008 at 2:45 pm #

Neha: Yes and yes.

wordjunkie: Welcome, newbie. :) I won’t be putting up pics, no. I told him these were just for me.

Nino’s Mum: :D It was a dream come true, really.

DewdropDream: Yes, Landour Days. I thought that would be most apt. Almost packed every single one I own, but decided to be sensible and give his wrist a rest at the last minute.

Unmana: Mine too. The Boy knew it, so he surprised me. :)

7. Aunty G October 18, 2008 at 5:26 pm #

Ruskin Bond and Jug Suraiya
    Desmond Doig and Gopinath-bhaiya
    They all wrote in the Junior Statesman
    Even after the mag to JS they did shorten
    Along with the Queen of Puns, Bachi Karkaria.

……………………………….Aaaah, nostalgia!

8. Orange Jammies October 20, 2008 at 1:42 pm #

Aunty G: :) Now that’s trivia! She was at an event the other day, asking my uncle if he writes about Parsis because they are especially complex people.

9. Rambunctious WhipperSnapper November 4, 2008 at 8:49 am #

So you were in Mussorie around the 13th???

10. Orange Jammies November 4, 2008 at 11:43 pm #

Rambunctious: Nah. This was a while ago.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,469 other followers