My Daddy Strongest

9 Jul

You’re at the hospital as I write this. Lying on a bed, a machine transfusing your blood, unaware of your immediate surroundings because you’re busy cracking up. Benny Hill is clearly too funny to feel any pain. And with those headphones firmly in your ears, you’re guffawing behind drawn curtains, oblivious to the curious stares of newer patients. For the old ones, you’re a familiar sight: cheering them on, on their low days, lending CDs to a yesteryears’ movie star, grumbling when he sends you sugar-free chocolates, joking with the nurses, announcing to each one that all this trouble began in their very own native Kerala, lest they believe that Munnar is merely a hill station.

When the doctor asks, “You’re still alive?” you smilingly tell him, “Only to torment you.” Complications arise and ebb, with the regularity of waves. Perhaps the very same ones that all the patients fight over beds # 5 and 6 for—sea-view, see? Clots and a hugely swollen arm result in grand declarations: “On the one hand, I’m the Great Khali; on the other, Mr. Vakatlan!” you proudly say, vakatlan being the Parsi term for scrawny.

But who will tell of the expansive spirit, greater than any wrestler’s arm, that surmounts the pain, triumphs over failed kidneys and still craves popcorn on the way home?

Happy 62nd, Dad.

I wish you a lifetime’s supply of health and popcorn.

19 Responses to “My Daddy Strongest”

1. Wine & Toast July 9, 2008 at 3:48 pm #

Such a beautiful read my dear. Hope your dad and you have a great day.

2. dipali July 9, 2008 at 7:44 pm #

Oh, hope he’s out soon. Such a wonderful spirit- I like the gags!
    Wishing you many more birthdays, good health and good cheer, OJ’s Dad
    Lots of love, OJ:)

3. damnhobsons July 9, 2008 at 8:08 pm #

“Taarif karoon kya uski, jisne tujhe banaya…” Guess…I will just wish him heppy budday instead… Hope you guys have a great evening together…

4. Dee July 10, 2008 at 12:05 pm #

This was beautifully written…

Do wish your dad a wonderful and healthy birthday…

5. Abha July 10, 2008 at 1:05 pm #

happy birthday to your daddy – o!

lovely post!

cheers!

abha

6. Orange Jammies July 10, 2008 at 9:28 pm #

Wine & Toast: CeeJ! Knew it had to be you!:D Wait, I’m not supposed to be talking to you. You go party in Rio and miss my budday. Go on! Hmph! 😦

Dipali: Thank you for your wishes and texts.

Damnhobsons: Kijiye, kijiye… it’ll win you brownie points with me, if not with “Papajee” 😛

Dee: Thank you. 🙂

Abha: Ahh…I think I know where you came from. Welcome. And danke. 🙂

7. iz July 10, 2008 at 11:43 pm #

He’ll be fine OJ. 62 is young and as my grandmother says, Parsis live long and do it at 92! love and prayers

8. Vidooshak July 11, 2008 at 1:26 am #

Hmmmm… nice

Baaki blog is too heavy for my feeble dimaag but this post was touching. Cool son/daughter(?) of a cool dad!

9. Ramesh Ramakrishnan July 11, 2008 at 9:48 pm #

Hi OJ – Ramesh here….you may have heard of me from Gulshan Aunty. Thought I’d just drop by and say hello….
    Do wish your father well from my side, and a speedy recovery too…..

10. Aunty G July 11, 2008 at 11:46 pm #

Oh, am so sorry am late
    To wish a Dad so great
    Happy Birthday to him
    Keep up that brave chin
    As daughter, you are first rate!

11. Revathi July 12, 2008 at 5:12 am #

Hi OJ, here’s wishing him many many more birthdays!!!He is going to be ok!:)

12. Orange Jammies July 12, 2008 at 6:09 pm #

Iz: I’ll let him know. 🙂

Vidooshak: Refer to comment # 10 for my gender. Or just check with the author of the blog you hopped over from. 😉

Ramesh: Hey! How are you? How’s Mahi? Thanks for stopping by.

Aunty G: Big hug.

Revathi: Thanks, girl. 🙂

13. rajni July 14, 2008 at 10:15 am #

Belated wishes to your Dad on his birthday.
    I still remember the post you wrote on 360 on his 60th.
    God give him good health & happiness always!

14. the mad momma July 14, 2008 at 4:17 pm #

ah.. big big hugs.. and belated wishes to the man who always has a joke and a smile on his lips.

15. Orange Jammies July 14, 2008 at 9:21 pm #

Rajni: Aww, that’s sweet. 🙂

MM: Not to mention in his inbox! 😉

16. Mamma Mia! Me a Mamma?!? April 30, 2009 at 7:30 pm #

What a tremendous spirit your father has!

I wish him good health, laughs and yes, lots of joke books to accompany that mountain of multi-flavoured popcorn!

17. Orange Jammies May 4, 2009 at 2:18 pm #

M4: Add a series of Allo Allo to the pack and we have his dream life. 🙂

1. Done? « Wisdom Wears Neon Pyjamas - April 30, 2009

[…] And wait, I’m still not done. Today I doff my hat to a gentleman who stood under the noonday sun, quietly, patiently, his body drained after 4 hours of being dialysed, just so he could do the very least as a citizen of this country. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: my Daddy strongest. […]

2. A Month of Milestones | Wisdom Wears Neon Pyjamas - July 15, 2014

[…] from your first-born now. That dethroned monarch business just never ends. But my Daddy, he had a birthday, and oh how the world is wealthier because his goodness dwells in it! (Still throwing that corner […]